Shower Booster research

One of the challenges we have had here is water pressure for the upstairs showers. I have replaced the header tanks, increased pipe size and removed clogged gate valves. All this has helped, but only marginally. Guests still often tell me that the upstairs showers are a bit too week and need some form of shower booster.

So I have been looking for some form of shower booster pump that is easy to fit, and gives just enough of a boost to give a good shower, with risking running the water tanks dry!

In my search I came across a website that had been shown on Dragons Den. I discovered that not only was it made in the UK, but it is made in Buxton just 3 miles up the road! So I promptly bought a set got and got on with fitting them.

Getting started

I picked the shower in Tissington apartment to try them out as it was quite easy for access. It has a newly fitted shower which doesn’t manage much more than a trickle, so would be nice to get it working better.

The first thing I did was get a large bucket, put it under the shower and turn it on for 1 minute. I then measured the depth of water. This gave me a benchmark.

testing the shower

Then the hardest bit of the job – find all my tools!! An hour later… mark and cut a hole in the plasterboard of the stud wall behind the shower to reveal the 2 pipes. Following the instructions (yes I actually read them) I cut the required length of pipe out.

shower pipes

Installing the Pumps

Fitting the 2 pumps is very simple. Put them in place, tighten the compression joints.

tightening the compression joint

There are several ways to wire them up, I chose using the 4 way cable. This means that as soon as one comes on, so does the other. This makes it a bit like the more usual dual impeller shower pump.

Next, turn the water on and check for leaks. Then ran the shower to remove any air.

The pumps run off 12v via a transformer so initially I just plugged it in on an extension lead to check everything worked. After I switched the power on a little blue LED lit up to show that they are ready for action.

booster pumps fitted


So now the moment of truth. Back into the bathroom and turn the shower on. Hey presto a much stronger looking shower. I went back to my initial test and ran the shower for 1 minute into the bucket. Measuring measuring it this time showed more than double the water depth than before. So it definitely works. Result! I can now connect the pumps to a conveniently placed unused fused spur.

cutout replaced

Now I just need to clean up and replace the cut out plasterboard with a piece of wood, so that it can be an easily removable access panel. Not that I expect to need to get at them for a long time. I need to buy and fit 4 more!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.