September 29, 2013
As you will have seen from the previous posts, we have been doing some major work on the windows around the hall. Now 90% of the windows have been repaired and repainted on the outside. Over the next few months we will be tackling the outside. This will also include replacing the sash cords to enable them to open more easily (and stay open). We have also had all the main lead valleys and gullies on the roof replaced. Much of the lead looks to have been original with lots of repairs and patches done over the year. The harsh winters we have had over the last few years had proven too much for them to cope with.
The Main valley stripped back
Rebuilt and ready for rain!
While the scaffolding has been up we have also been able to repair any leaks in the guttering.
We have also had all the holes and collapses in the dry stone wall on the south side of the building rebuilt so the approach to the Hall looks much smarter. The wall on the North side will be next years project! We have also added directional signs at either end of the property. For some reason most SatNav systems try to take people round the back of us to our neighbours properties!
Inside Eyam’s living room has had a major overhaul. All the insulation in the roof has been replaced, and the ceiling re-boarded, plastered and painted.
I am still working on the fireplace which is being enlarged to its original size. The disused mezzanine has been mostly removed and what is left is being used a a feature with some additional lighting set into it. Even with some finishing off needed, it is a much brighter and smarter looking room than it was.
July 12, 2013
Well the Peak District, did its usual thing, and 2 days after we got started on the windows, it rained so we had to stop work. The following week though, was the start of the run of superb weather that we are still enjoying now. Work was able to re-commence on the windows all of the windows on the south side (the front) have been given a new lease of life. Scraping away at the layers of flaking paint we found that some of the windows were in a terrible state of decay so the work too longer than we expected (and cost more!!) I had put in the first blog story about the windows repairs that we would be done in a week – wishful thinking! However the results are well worth it. See for yourselves.
June 27, 2013
It has been a long time since I have added anything to our blog. Not very good of me especially that at the beginning of the year I set myself the task of writing something at least once a month! Oh well. This update is about windows – not the Microsoft operating system, but the kind you look out of.
Hargate Hall has 110 windows. Of these the majority need a bit of work. Well, if I am being honest, more than a few need a lot of work doing to them. Tackling the windows is a task I have constantly looked at and then shied away from. Although I like to do as much as possible myself, but this project was just too big for me. Time to call in David Jones, a local painter and decorator. The work has started, today!!
Day one’s task has been to remove all the flaking paint and remove any soft and rotten wood, prime the exposed wood, fit new timbers and add generous helpings of filler. Even though the windows are now a patchwork of white and aluminium primer, it already looks better. Lets see what tomorrow brings …..
We aim to have all the windows on the south side of the building, striped, repaired, and repainted by the end of the week.